Superior Programs and Services
Serving Our Community
The Salvation Army believes in meeting the basic needs of individuals and families, young and old. These basic needs include food, clothing, shelter and household needs. While meeting the physical needs, The Salvation Army staff also offer hope and guidance to those coming in for services. The following programs are available.
• Casework Services - A social worker will interview prospective clients to determine how we can best meet their needs. This may mean a clothing voucher, a meal voucher, a food basket, an emergency gas voucher, emergency utility assistance, emergency rental assistance, or other assistance. Sometimes a referral is the best way to assist.
• Coats for Kids - The Salvation Army is the distribution center for the Twin Ports Coats for Kids program. On average, we issue 1,000 coats to those in need. Local dry cleaners clean the coats for free before they are distributed.
• Community Care Ministries - A monthly non-denominational church service is held at Villa Marina nursing home on the fourth Sunday of each month.Volunteers are welcome.
• Holiday Assistance - We provide several assistance programs during the holidays, including Coats for Kids, Toy Shop, Christmas baskets, Nursing Home visitation and Adopt a Family. For Christmas, individuals and families are able to sign up to receive a complete meal basket and/or the Toys for Tots toy distribution.
• Pathway of Hope - The Salvation Army offers holistic and strengths based case management services to families with children who have a desire to take action to break the cycle of crisis and attain a level of increased stability. Families will work in partnership with their case manager and ministry staff to develop an action plan as well as assess their strengths and progress while receiving support and encouragement to reach their goals.
Depending on funding available, we are also able to assist with household goods, furniture, clothing, personal hygiene items and pet food. Each service has eligibility requirements, such as residency and/or proof of identification. Some services have time limits and income eligibility requirements. All requests for assistance are handled by appointment. Contact Sarah Kruse in our Social Service office at (715) 394-7001 to learn more about our basic needs programs.
• Rookie Basketball Association - Basketball skill training and team building is taught from November to March in the Corps gym and two other locations. Every child plays in every game with his team. The program is designed for 3rd and 4th grade boys and girls. Each child receives a team t-shirt and award for a small registration fee. Parents are required to be in attendance during practice and competitions.
• Seasonal Assistance - Food baskets, toy shop, clothing, nursing home visitation and other services are available for the needy of our community.
• Youth Activities - Wednesday nights from 5pm to 7pm we have dinner, devotional, and activity for children of all ages. We ask the those with non-school-aged children to be in attendance.
Clients can visit the Food Pantry Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, from 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm. The pantry is stocked by donations from Second Harvest, local food drives, area businesses and individuals. When the pantry is low, goods are also purchased with donated funds.
Clients are able to use the pantry once each calendar month. Clients may also choose produce, bakery, and dairy daily from our tables. Tables are on a first come first serve basis and items vairy from day to day.
On the 2nd Tuesday of each month (regular Food Pantry is closed) however, the “Food Truck” comes and is available to all. This is also usually between 1pm and 3pm.
Our Soap and Pet Pantry is available Wednesdays and Fridays between 10:30 am - 11:30 am, when we have supplies. Clients are invited to use the Soap and Pet Pantry once a month.
Please shop our store! Your donations are always welcome at The Salvation Army Superior Thrift Store. Free parking is available in the city lot across the street.
The Salvation Army Thrift Store
1705 Belknap Street
Superior, WI 54880
phone: (715) 394-5331
hours: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday through Saturday.